I treat a variety of anxiety, mood, behavioral, chronic health, and personality conditions. In addition, as a former professor and home school teacher, I often consult with students of all ages who are struggling with academic-related issues, such as organizational skills, memory and concentration issues, reading and writing challenges, etc. All of my interventions are practical, transparent, evidence-based, and designed to empower my clients to graduate successfully from therapy with skills they can apply on their own going forward in life.
I also regularly consult with clients who are not seeking treatment for a diagnosed condition. Instead, they are executives, parents, athletes, and students who would like short-term coaching. As a former tenured full professor of psychology at Oglethorpe University, I draw upon over 20 years of teaching and research experience to advise students, individuals, parents, and teams that want pragmatic, time-tested techniques for improving performance, mental acuity, stress reduction, and resilience.
My particular clinical specialization is in cognitive and behavioral therapies (CBT) for children, teens, adults, and couples. I have over 25 years experience and my expertise includes traditional cognitive and behavioral therapies, as well as newer versions of those approaches, such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT). In addition, I have significant training in behavioral medicine and more broadly in health psychology. I am board certified by the American Board of Professional Psychology in behavioral and cognitive psychology, a credential earned by less than 5 percent of psychologists.
I begin all new clinical cases with a comprehensive evaluation that leads to an individually-tailored treatment plan. During this initial evaluation and with client permission, I am willing to consult with prior therapists, psychiatrists, school personnel, and others who can provide valuable background or ongoing consultation. In addition, I will thoroughly review any prior psychological testing reports so that insights gained from that testing can be efficiently and accurately applied to the therapy process.
For coaching clients, I provide a similar complimentary initial phone call and spend time distinguishing coaching from clinical treatment.
As a behavioral psychologist, one unique feature of my practice is that I regularly meet clients outside of the office to teach and help implement skills in the natural environment. For example, when I design treatments for obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and phobias, I routinely make "house calls" (home evaluations) and go to other locations in the real world where my clients need assistance (often referred to as "in vivo" sessions). I also offer hybrid options - a blend of telehealth and in-vivo sessions.
Overall, I believe growth involves learning new skills, gaining insight, and ultimately changing behavior to meet one's goals. My working style is respectful and collaborative. I greatly appreciate the trust that my clients place in me and I strive to provide them with the best possible service that reflects the ethical standards of my profession.
Below are my areas of expertise. Please contact me to discuss your specific needs:
- Anxiety Disorders, such as Panic Disorder, Phobias, Obsessive-Compulsive, & Generalized Anxiety (including in vivo exposure trials and EWRP)
- Mood Disorders, such as Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Adjustment Disorders, & Seasonal Disorder
- Behavioral Medicine to treat issues like chronic pain, health problems, obesity, headaches, etc.
- Behavior Problems, such as Encopresis, Enuresis, School Refusal, Tics, Picking, Hair Pulling, & Disobedience
- Couples and Families, specializing in Jacobson's and Gottman's approaches; family systems theory
- Educational and Learning-Related Issues, ranging from home school to public school to college
- Sport Psychology, including the latest mindfulness and CBT skills to enhance performance
- Executive Coaching for clients who seek improved performance, mental focus, and resilience
- Forensic Clinical Psychology Services, such as competency and NGRI evaluations; trial consultation